The Rushmore Report: The Single Worst Statistic for Trump in New Poll


A new Bloomberg poll was released Tuesday. It showed Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by double digits: 49% to 37%. The survey was conducted June 10-13, so it was completed after the Orlando terrorist attack. The good news for Trump is that the poll showed people favor him over Clinton in handling terrorism. But the bad news for Trump – really bad news – is found in a single statistic.

An overwhelming 55% said they could never support Trump (compared to 43% who said the same about Clinton). To say it another way, 37% support Trump, and 8% say they could possibly support him, totaling 45%. Of the undecided, 7% say they could support Clinton. So Clinton’s margin is 49-56%, compared to just 37-45% for Trump. This means Clinton would win by anywhere from 4% to 19% of the vote.

“Clinton has a number of advantages in this poll, in addition to her lead,” said Ann Selzer, the widely respected pollster who conducted the survey, according to Bloomberg. “Her supporters are more enthusiastic than Trump’s and more voters overall see her becoming a more appealing candidate than say that for Trump.”

The Bloomberg poll was the second such survey on Tuesday to show Clinton with a commanding lead. An NBC/Survey Monkey weekly tracking poll released on Tuesday morning showed Clinton with a seven-point lead over Trump, a four-point jump over NBC’s tracking poll two weeks ago. Clinton holds a 5.5% lead in the Real Clear Politics average of several recent polls.

About the Author

Allan Smith writes for Business Insider. A 2015 graduate of Ohio University, he was also a writer and editor for his college newspaper, The Post.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *