Deshauna Barber has been named Miss USA 2016. In the first Miss USA contest covered by Fox, the District of Columbia produced its third winner in the annual event. Miss Barber will now represent the United States in the Miss Universe pageant. Let’s meet Miss USA. We know five things.
1. Barber is an army officer. The new Miss USA is a logistics commander for the 988th Quartermaster Detachment Unit of the United States Army in Fort Meade, Maryland. She is also an IT analyst for the United States Department of Commerce and plans to use her reign as Miss USA to focus on PTSD treatment for soldiers returning from war. She joined the military at age 17.
2. Miss Barber has a master’s degree. The five-foot-ten model graduated from Virginia State University in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in business management. She later attended the University of Maryland, where she earned a master’s degree in management information systems.
3. Her hobbies include dancing and hiking. According to her Miss USA bio, the Columbus, Georgia native loves to dance, hike, and spend free time with her family. She is also passionate about advocating for equality among sexes.
4. She has lived all over the country. Unlike many past winners, Deshauna has a broad geographic background. Born in Georgia, Barber has also lived in North Carolina, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Virginia, before landing in our nation’s capitol.
5. Barber wants to break barriers. She said, “I am ready to break the stereotypes for female soldiers and bust through the pageantry glass ceiling that has been laid over the heads of this industry. It is time that we as women are versatile, strong, and can be anything we set our minds to!”
Clearly, Deshauna Barber is a new kind of title holder. The newly minted Miss USA is on a mission – for her country, race, sex, and humanity. May God use her mightily to be a real difference-maker, as she has ascended to one of the most watched platforms America has to offer.