He is the richest man in the world, with a personal value of over $90 billion. And no, his name is not Bill Gates. Gates was last year’s richest man in the world. So who is this man? Here are a few clues. He is 53 years old. He went to Princeton. He owns newspapers. He edges out Bill Gates and Warren Buffet as the world’s richest man. As a toddler, he dismantled his crib with a screwdriver. So who is this guy – the world’s richest man?
His name is Jeffrey Preston Bezos Jorgensen. And he is the founder and chief executive officer of Amazon.com, the world’s largest online shopping center. It is also the world’s largest provider of cloud infrastructure services, through its Amazon Web Services arm.
Here are ten things to know about Jeff Bezos.
1. Net worth: $91.5 billion
2. Wife: MacKenzie Bezos (married 1993)
3. Children: four
4. Other holdings: Washington Post, Airbnb, Google (major shareholder), Business Insider newspaper, Blue Origin (space travel), Twitter
5. Big plans: commercial suborbital human spaceflight (2018)
6. Childhood home: Houston, Texas
7. High school rank: valedictorian
8. Philanthropy: Bezos Center for Innovation ($10 million), Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center ($20 million)
9. Recognition: Innovation Award (The Economist), honorary doctorate (Carnegie Mellon University), one of America’s best leaders (U.S. News & World Report), businessman of the year (Fortune, 2012)
10. Criticisms: named World’s Worst Boss (International Trade Union Confederation), Amazon working conditions described as “grueling and inhumane” (New York Times)