The Rushmore Report: Americans Side with Trump Over Obama on Bathroom Law


Last week President Obama bypassed the states and school boards with his “do it my way or lose state funding” edict that allows all students to pick their restroom based on their sexual identity of the moment. Note: this is about sexual “identity,” not biology. It’s not about the 0.3 percent who are transgender students. Any boy can enter any girl’s restroom any time, if he self-identifies as a girl.

Predictably, GOP presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump has come out in opposition to the initiative. Trump has called for the states to decide for themselves, rather than a “one size fits all” approach. “The states are more capable of making these decisions for themselves,” he said.

So where do the American people stand on this issue? Rasmussen Reports has conducted a poll. How many side with Trump over Obama? The answer is . . .

Two-thirds, or 65 percent, to be exact. Rasmussen asked 1,000 adults the question, “Do you favor or oppose allowing students to use the bathrooms of the opposite biological sex?” Among the 33 percent who side with Obama (two percent are undecided), half prefer the states decide.

So 17 percent agree that President Obama was right in this action. The other 83 percent either disagreed with the position or the way he did it. What seems to bother millions of Americans is this continuing trend of not seeking consensus, bypassing Congress, and governing against the will of the people.

The president has defended his action. “We’re talking about kids, and anybody who’s been in school, been in high school, who’s been a parent, I think should realize that kids who are sometimes in the minority – kids who have a different sexual orientation or are transgender – are subject to a lot of bullying, potentially they are vulnerable.”

There are four clear problems with the president’s decree.

1. Obama bypassed Congress, the states, and the school boards. There is this pesky thing in our constitution called “separation of powers.” The executive branch was never intended to make laws. That is the job of Congress.

2. The people oppose this, overwhelmingly. When the president says he is speaking for the people, he is re-defining disingenuous. The White House polls everything before taking action. He knew that 83 percent would oppose this action. But he did it anyway.

3. It’s a bad idea on the merits.

4. Obama is worsening the problem he seeks to solve. He said the point is to diminish bullying. So let’s play this out. What do you think will happen when a 14-year-old 120-pound high school freshman follows a 17-year-old senior into the girls’ restroom? Her boyfriend, the starting linebacker on the football team, tips the scales at 250 pounds. He sees the young man follow his girlfriend into the restroom. There is at least a reasonable chance this won’t end well for the self-identifying girl in a boy’s body, especially if he forgot to carry his big “I’m identifying as a girl today” sign with him as he enters the bathroom.

President Obama has put Hillary Clinton in a bind. Because she has trumpeted herself as the one to continue his legacy, this will be a tricky one on a political level. But more importantly, the American people have spoken. A full 65 percent side with Trump, and 83 percent say the action by Mr. Obama should have never been taken.

On a personal level, assuming this actually becomes law, I’m grateful I don’t have a young daughter who can so easily be stalked and abused in a bathroom by a boy masquerading as a girl-for-the-day in a boy’s body. And I’m grateful I don’t have a son who might do this with the girl’s 250-pound boyfriend standing guard.

Has there ever been a time in our nation’s past when this would have even been attempted? If it was a bad idea from 1776 to 2015, what makes it such a good idea now? I don’t get it. And according to the most recent polls, neither do 83 percent of the American people.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *