If you pick up a baby bird, its mother won’t have anything to do with him again. It’s dangerous to go swimming within an hour of eating lunch. Penguins mate for life. People only use ten percent of their brain. And the Houston Texans will win the next Super Bowl.
These are all “facts” that we have accepted for years. But guess what? None of these “facts” is actually true. I have compiled a “Top Ten” list of other truisms that aren’t true.
1. The Great Wall of China is the only manmade object that can be seen from space. Actually, there are lots of manmade objects easily viewable from space, and the Great Wall is not one of them. It can only be seen under perfect conditions.
2. Oranges are named after the color. It’s the other way around. The color came from the fruit, not the fruit from the color. Before the late 15th century, the color orange was just lumped in with red.
3. Humans have five senses. Actually, the number is anywhere from nine to 20, depending on which scientist you listen to. Other senses include balance, pain, and temperature.
4. Napoleon was short. At a time when the average height for a man was 5’5″, Napoleon Bonaparte was 5’7″. His nickname, “le Petit Caporal,” meant “The Little Corporal.” But is was used as a term of affection.
5. The Earth revolves around the sun. Actually, it revolves around the solar system’s center of mass. This is called the Barycenter. Usually, it’s contained within the mass of the sun, but not always. When it’s outside the mass of the sun, the Earth is just orbiting around empty space.
6. It takes seven years to digest gum. The truth is, you can’t digest gum at all. It just passes right through your system.
7. George Washington had wooden teeth. The fact is, his dentures were made of gold, ivory, lead, animal teeth, and the teeth from some of his slaves.
8. There was widespread panic with Orson Welles’ The War of the Worlds. Thjs 1938 radio broadcast of the Martian invasion did not elicit widespread panic, as has often been reported.
9. Bats are blind. Ever hear the phrase, “blind as a bat”? All bat species have eyes and can see. In fact, some species of bats have excellent night vision.
10. Flies live only for a day. Actually, most houseflies live for about 20 to 30 days.
Paul said that in the last days, men will believe a lie (2 Thessalonians 2:11). Jesus said, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Mark 13:31). There was a day when the world was flat. That was a fact – until the fact changed. That’s what makes God’s word so amazing. It has always been true. And Jesus is true. He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). If you want facts that never change, come to God, read his word, and follow his Son. God will never let you down. And that’s a fact.